Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Good Influence


That Frankie Kendziera. She is a dear little friend of ours and just about the sweetest 4-year-old you're ever going to meet. In fact, Saskia (Frankie's mom) just posted on her blog about Frankie's kindness and I was just thinking how I need to pray for this quality in my children because it doesn't seem to come naturally. To any of us, really, I don't mean to beat up on my kids. But after spending the day with Frankie and the Kendzieras today, literally a minute after they left, here's Claudia and Jake's conversation...


Jake: Claude, want to play with me?
Claudia: Sure! What do you want to play?
[as you're replaying this in your head, be sure to give my kids the highest, most polite voices you can imagine]

Jake: I don't care! We can play mermaids! Or whatev! [YES! He said WHATEV.]

Claudia: Mom, what do YOU want us to play with?

Me: I don't care, guys. How about these building sets?

Claudia: Oh yes!

Jake: Ooh yeah! These are the best toys EVER!

Maybe that doesn't seem over-the-top wonderful to you, but believe me, after the bickering we've had the past few...weeks...this conversation made me stop in my tracks (is that the saying?) and immediately get on the computer to document it. Bless you, Frankie, for rubbing off on my children today.

Plus, I just went upstairs to look in on them. I got this whole post out and they're STILL building nicely alongside each other. Hallelujah! And on that good note, send them to bed!

4 comments:

Maria the Great said...

Awesome! Aren't these little milestones and 'good' moments encouraging?! Keep up the praying, that's what I say - God can work this out.

SDK said...

I think the credit goes to good mommying rather than the influence of Frankie Kendziera, but it does a mother's heart good to read it anyway (and I love that she saves her bad behavior for me and keeps up this facade for you). I love your children. So whatev.

SDK said...

Oh, and I had to add: that is the world's funniest picture of Jake. So cute.

Molly said...

Such a cute picture. Thanks again for having us all at your house last week. We had such a great time--except when I would catch sight of your great bikini body and feel the despair creeping in. And thanks to Claudia for being so sweet with Sylvie!