Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Forever Home

I have been dreaming of my "Forever Home" for years now. Don't get me wrong, I love our present house because Ed and I designed and built it together and our babies were born here. I love our neighbors and looking out over a pond. But it doesn't feel permanent to me for whatever reason.

Ed and I have very different views of houses and what we like which is why we ended up building this one 8 years ago after 2 years of arguing over existing houses in the Holland area. Never did I think we would end up in Muskegon, but the Lord brought us here and it is where we belong. Muskegon gets a bad rap, if you ask me, and so we are committed to it because I love an underdog. And don't tell Ed, but I plan to add so many children to our family that we will boost Muskegon's appeal by populating it with adorable, well-behaved, intelligent, God-loving, contributing members of society. All brainwashed to grow up and reside in the same town they were raised in, very close to their mother.

So for the past few years, I've been keeping my eyes open and bombarding Ed with arguments as to why this is a great time to move despite the fact that our current home's value has plummeted. (We'll make it up on the other side! Duh!) But no down payment is no down payment and so we've been in our house for longer than we intended. Finally, last week, I convinced Ed to just look at a couple houses with me.

I found a 4,000 sq. ft. monstrosity and knew it had to be mine. We saw it and began conniving as to how we could afford it. It was a foreclosure, so it WAS a good deal. Something inside me was telling me it wasn't right (the Holy Spirit maybe? ya think?) But I silenced that little voice and forged ahead with working out the details as to how we could make it happen...

It sold the next morning as we were considering what kind of an offer to make.

I was crushed until I sat down later that day to read my daily devotion. This is the passage I was up to:


Woe to you who add house to house

and join field to field

till no space is left

and you live alone in the land.

The Lord Almighty has declared in my hearing:

"Surely the great houses will become desolate,

the fine mansions left without occupants..."
Isaiah 5:8-10




And then my BSF lesson led me here:


...the land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants...Leviticus 25:23b.




It reminds me of that Carrie Underwood song, Temporary Home, I think it's called. I've been searching for my Forever Home, trying to wheel and deal and argue and plead for some giant house for our family to "rattle around in" as Saskia puts it. But the fact is, I KNOW where our Forever Home is. It is in Heaven with the Lord God Almighty. We are merely passing through here on our journey home. I am doing a disservice to my children by teaching them to become attached to any earthly thing. Of course I want a place for us to call home here on Earth that feels right for many, many years, but the Lord tells us that all this will...burn in the end.




And so my perspective and my terminology have been changed. I'm still looking for our next home, but it really will still only be a Temporary Home. Who knows what plans the Lord has for us and where He will lead us? I never expected Muskegon, but His plans are always better than mine. Take a look at THIS real estate listing:




"Behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth.

The former things will not be remembered,

nor will they come to mind.

But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create,

for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight

and its people a joy.

I will rejoice over Jerusalem

and take delight in my people;

the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.

Never again will there be in it

an infant who lives but a few days,

or an old man who does not live out his years;

he who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere youth;

he who fails to reach a hundred will be considered accursed.

They will build houses and dwell in them;

they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.

No longer will they build houses and others live in them,

or plant and others eat.

For as the days of a tree,

so will be the days of my people;

my chosen ones will long enjoy the works of their hands.

They will not toil in vain or bear children doomed to misfortune;

for they will be a people blessed by the Lord,

they and their descendants with them.

Before they call I will answer;

while they are still speaking I will hear.

The wolf and the lamb will feed together,

and the lion will eat straw like the ox,

but dust will be the serpent's food.

They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain,"

says the Lord.


Isaiah 65:17-25




Now THAT is what I call a Forever Home.


2 comments:

susanswenton said...

I'd say you have your head on straight.

SDK said...

I don't know how I missed this in written form (I remember talking about it with you). What a great real estate listing, indeed! This is a wonderful entry for your children to read and know that their mother firmly believes her citizenship is in heaven. Nicely done, my friend.